Custom Skylights | Greenhouse Windows | Plant Window | Conservatory | Roof Lantern | Window Walls Contact us (800) 882-4657
Elizabeth Stanton Conservatory
Chicago Conservatory Design Phase
Cape Cod - MA Skylight
33rd and Sniffen - New York
Conservatory Project: The Bradley Palmer Mansion: Architecture: Willowdale Estate is a Craftsman and Tudor Revival Stone Mansion, commissioned in 1901-1902. Bradley Palmer spent a good deal of time deciding where to build his “modest cottage” and settled on the affluent town of Topsfield, where there was plenty of land to exercise his horses. The architect was Charles Kimball Cummings (1870-1955) who practiced architecture in Boston from 1897 to 1947 and was well known for his house designs, particularly those of substantial scale for the wealthy of that era. Palmer drew his inspiration for the house from the Mansions and Castles of Aberdeen in Scotland. He incorporated motifs from the Medieval Period into the Arts and Crafts style- creating a very eclectic home. The house features the original red slate roof, original leaded stained glass windows, stone-carved fireplaces, images of Knights and Kings, and intricate wood molding. There is a strong equestrian theme throughout the house through carved and glass imagery, quotations and even the layout of the house is in a horseshoe shape. Bradley Palmer’s home was renovated in the 1920’s to create beautiful entertaining spaces by adding a formal Dining Room, Great Room and a Conservatory. Visitors to his estate included the Prince Edward VIII and President William Howard Taft. From 1937 to 1944, Palmer donated all of his land holdings “to the people of Massachusetts as a place to enjoy the peace and beauty of river, woods, fields and hills.” He transferred all ownership of his properties to the State with the stipulation that he would lease back 107 acres including his mansion – for the remainder of his days. The Bradley Palmer State Park continues Mr. Palmer’s legacy of conservation and every year is enjoyed by thousands of equestrians and outdoor enthusiasts. The house is currently owned by the State of Massachusetts and is being restored and leased as part of the Department of Conservation’s Historic Curatorship Program. Willowdale is a shining example of private and public partnership. The conservatory, designed and installed by Renaissance Conservatories, was placed on the front of the mansion, and is used as a dining area to entertain guests.
Roof Lantern Project: The Sniffen Court Historic District is one of New York City's smallest historic districts, created on June 21, 1966, by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission. Sniffen Court, named after John Sniffen, a local builder, is a small close-ended mews that runs perpendicularly southwest off of East 36th Street between Third and Lexington Avenues in the Murray Hill neighborhood of Manhattan. The district encompasses the entire alley, which consists of 10 two-story brick stables built in 1863-1864 in the early Romanesque Revival style.
As the need for carriage houses lessened, the buildings were converted for other uses. In 1918, two of the stables, also known as 150 East 36th Street, and #3) were bought by the Amateur Comedy Club, which has been in existence since 1884, to be their clubhouse and theatre; they remain that today. In the 1920s, the process of conversion continued, and by 1966 one of the buildings was in use as an architect's office, the gabled building at #2 (156 East 36th Street) was the home of a noted architect, while the remainder were small private residences.
On November 28, 1973, the Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
In popular culture
Sniffen Court is the location used for the cover of the Strange Days album by The Doors, released in 1967.
Daufuskie Island Conservatory
Alamo, CA Conservatory
Conservatory Project: The Elizabeth Cady Stanton House in Tenafly, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States, is where Elizabeth Cady Stanton lived from 1868 to 1887, her most active years as a women's rights activist. She had previously lived in Seneca Falls, New York and Boston, Massachusetts.
History: The house was built in 1868 near the Tenafly train station. Stanton lived in the home from 1868 to 1887, although her husband mostly resided in New York City. Income from Stanton's speeches and writings were used to maintain the property. During Stanton's time living in Tenafly, Susan B. Anthony was a frequent visitor as the two women worked on advancing women's rights. While living in Tenafly, Stanton and Anthony collaborated on a three-volume History of Woman Suffrage. Stanton was also living in Tenafly when she attempted to vote only to be turned away at the polls in 1980. One of Stanton's daughter was married on the house's lawn. Stanton sold the house after the death of her husband. Stanton's home in Tenafly was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1975. Her home in Seneca Falls was earlier declared a National Historic Landmark, in 1965. The Kahn family purchased the house in 1981, being sold within the family for 1.6 million in 2001. The house sold for in 2015 to buyers outside of the Kahn family. The house remains privately owned. Architecture and layout The house features seven-bedroom and is 5,449-square-foot. There are six fireplaces and ten foot high ceilings. The house was designed in the Second Empire style and has a mansard roof. The house also features Colonial Revival and Victorian Mansard elements. A large portico was added in the early 20th century after Stanton's ownership. The conservatory was added near the end of 2016.